Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community. Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
As a Technical Director, Distributed Audio Simulation, you’ll be working in our core game engine to lead the overall technical vision and execution of our upcoming Immersive Audio streaming platform. Think of simulating 10k users cheering during a concert –with acoustics that sound differently automatically based on if it’s an indoor or outdoor concert- while performers create compelling new music experiences. Or being able to broadcast a live sport event to millions of watchers in the metaverse. Or enabling the latest summer hit movie to debut on Roblox. If you are excited about creating the new technology to support all those use cases and make sure it scales to our 6M+ concurrent users, this is the right job for you!
- Battle ready: You have already built and deployed a real time audio system for a large consumer application and are not afraid of any part of the technical stack (sound design, signal processing, encoding, transport, transcoding, etc…). You are eager to apply what you learned and lead the upcoming platform for all Roblox real time communication (audio, data, video). Linking that to 3d physics representation excites you…
- Experienced: You have 10+ years of experience leading the development of complex immersive/interactive applications (or AAA games) and are passionate about immersive audio and acoustic simulation. You have a BS in a STEM related field, MS/PhD are a definite plus.
- Knowledgeable: In addition to a very good understanding of audio/video real time delivery, you have a deep knowledge of the physics of sound propagation and are eager to use your expertise to design a large scale acoustic simulation. You can recommend one route versus another and bring a team of engineers to consensus. You also love to pick up new technologies as the landscape evolves.
- Versatile: You’re a jack of all trades and you have mastered several languages and technologies already; you can easily adapt to any situation when the need arises and come up with the right solution.
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems. Bringing real time streaming to build an immersive 3D world should get you thinking about a ton of problems to solve… and really excited as a result.
- Team-oriented: You have a magnetic personality that invigorates the team around you and you are used to leading technical teams in any situation.
- Lead the definition and implementation of our next gen real time immersive audio simulation platform.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to realize the research efforts into the Roblox products.
- Drive any intellectual property effort on the domain as we are breaking new grounds.
- Lead other engineers by example and through technical direction.
- Collaborate with different teams to improve existing and develop new functionality, pipelines, and workflow.
- Be guided by the company vision to put the Roblox community first and represent the company through thought leadership.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.