Tencent is one of the biggest game companies in the world. We create games that reach millions of people worldwide. Tencent primarily focuses on online and mobile games, such as the company’s flagship games PUGB: Mobile, Call of Duty: Mobil, or Honor of Kings. Tencent has become a major player in the videogame arena through the many game studios the corporation owns worldwide.
About the Job:
Calling for the industry’s top talents, we seek an imaginative, technically proficient senior narrative designer to play a vital role in forging unforgettable stories. You will collaborate with our international teams and draw on an extensive range of storytelling tools and techniques to make the story, the characters—the events matter in all aspects of the project. You will ensure AAA quality storytelling on world-building, bring the character to life, and give purpose to each mission quest to maximize the player’s experience.
You will collaborate with specialists and leads from different departments: creative director, art director, level designer, and game director. Must have a deep understanding of game production and mechanism. Unifying the project visions ensures consistency across the board, especially in a narrative context.
About the Game:
You will be working on our studio's most anticipated and ambitious project. The title is based on a famous classic military IP. Our goal is to revive it and introduce it to new generation gamers. With complete creative control, we will further develop this near-future warfare FPS game and offer our players a wide range of experiences: MMORPGs, co-op PVE mode, PVEVP mode, campaigns, and sandbox PVP mode.
What you will do:
- Research history, locations, and events to develop the game’s narrative vision and underlying themes.
- Write lines quickly and concisely to convey moment-to-moment gameplay in each character’s unique voice.
- Design and implement the narrative and emotional beats of story missions.
- Work with GD (Game director) LDs (Level Designers), and QDs (Quest designers) in developing content (plot, setting, characters, barks, dialogue, events, item descriptions, lore, tutorials, etc.) Bring emotional meaning to the game.
- Develop IP content strategy. Set up and maintain the narrative pipeline. Development and maintenance the high-quality product.
- Support marketing and public-relations projects and assist with localization needs.
- At least one shipped AAA game title in a Mid-to-Senior Writer/Narrative role. Solid understanding of the development of FPS games pipeline and experience of 4+ years in a narrative or creative position.
- Detailed understanding of all aspects of the narrative design development process, such as concept design, quest development, character design, and CG production. Ability to apply traditional narrative techniques through systems but also seek to innovate in new and emerging narrative forms. Push boundaries and keep pushing.
- A highly creative, collaborative, empathetic, and innovative spirit. Deep understanding of the modern military culture and warfare. Sensitive to all cultures and ethnicity matters.
- Outstanding problem-solving, communication, team awareness, and mentorship skills.
--Flexible with work hours for conference calls with the teams and the external partners around the globe.
- Links or attachments of writing samples/portfolio (preferred). Prioritize samples demonstrating your ability to write dialogue for different voices—the video clips of your work (preferred).
- Resume (required)
- Cover Letter (preferred)
Tencent is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression, and gender reassignment), race (including color, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Tencent:
Diversity, equity and inclusion are important, interdependent components of our workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we firmly believe that diverse voices fuel our innovation and allow us to better serve our users and the community. We foster an environment where every employee of Tencent feels supported and inspired to achieve individual and common goals.