PLAYERUNKNOWN Productions is an independent development studio based in Amsterdam, focused on creating massive sandbox worlds. Our multi-disciplinary team is using an array of new and emerging technologies to push the envelope of what is possible with open worlds in gaming. Our goal is to build deep, systemic playgrounds on a planetary scale, populated by thousands of players.
MELBA Team is PLAYERUNKNOWN Productions’ applied research division. Project Melba is a new simulation engine being built from the ground up, utilizing data-driven design, multi-core processing and machine learning at its foundation in order to power virtual worlds on a scale beyond the capabilities of current technology.
For the Melba Team we are looking for a technical artist to work closely with programmers to develop, iterate and test different solutions and ideas. This is a chance to really make lasting impact on the features-set, quality and usability of our technology.
- Collaborating with other teams to ensure that the techniques being developed are compliant on current and next generation hardware platforms.
- Researching and developing technical tools for a project.
- Assisting in asset performance and validation.
- Solving complex technical issues during development.
- Deciding on what software and tools are required for game production.
- Developing and maintaining resources and pipelines along with programmers.
- Researching and overseeing the implementation of rendering techniques.
- Optimisation of render processing and memory use.
- Maintaining technical documentation.
- Support graphics programmers with renderer implementation.
- Design and implement HLSL shaders for PBR.
- Establish materials support and assets pipelines.
- Select, prepare, and adapt art tools.
- Write HLSL compute shaders for procedural content.
- Provide assets for development.
Investigate and evolve
- Keep up to date on the latest developments in rendering and other techniques.
- Maintain a primary interest in PBR lighting and simulation-based approaches in general, like ray-tracing or Machine Learning driven solutions.
- Solid experience with modern graphics techniques from a tools, workflow, and user perspective.
- Proven experience with high graphical fidelity.
- Good understanding of modern GPUs.
- Highly motivated to work with new and emerging technologies (like Machine Learning).
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Experience in participating in new engine technology development.
- Comfortable working in a highly data-driven environment.
- Great communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Significant experience in a full digital art content creation pipeline.
- Good knowledge of common 2D and 3D graphics software.
- Knowledge of asset management systems like GIT and perforce.
- Ability to create technical documentation.
- Knowledge and Interest in the following tech-art areas:
- Shading & Lighting;
- Rendering and Post FX;
- Special FX;
- HLSL shader development, with and without use of shader-graph tools;
- Shader implementation optimisation;
- PBR and Raytracing.
- Knowledge of programming languages like C/C++.
- Knowledge of scripting languages like Python and lua.
- Knowledge of render modern back-ends (DirectX 12, Vulkan, etc.).
- Experience with development for multiple platforms (Windows, consoles).
- Experience with other types of digital art creation pipelines.
- Familiarity with research oriented ways of working.
Amsterdam or Remote (within similar time zone)
About PLAYERUNKNOWN Productions
PLAYERUNKNOWN Productions is an independent development studio based in Amsterdam, focused on creating massive sandbox worlds. Our multi-disciplinary team is using an array of new and emerging technologies to push the envelope of what is possible with open worlds in gaming.
Our goal is to build deep, systemic playgrounds on a planetary scale, populated by thousands of players.
At PLAYERUNKNOWN Productions we believe in a flexible work environment driven by honesty and transparency, empowering both developers and researchers to build the tools that can form the foundation of a new generation of interactive worlds. We are a passionate team of committed individuals from all over the world, working towards building the kind of experience that is only now becoming possible. We believe that the longstanding dream of a massive, immersive world where players are free to do whatever they want is closer than ever before, and we believe that we can make it happen.