Deck Nine Games is currently hiring a Sound Designer for an upcoming narrative game!
As Sound Designer you will work with a team of competent, creative individuals to help craft an authentic audio experience. You will take direction from the audio lead, while collaborating and iterating concepts with Gameplay, Level, and Narrative designers. Your work will focus on creating both freeroam and cinematic soundscapes, bringing life to a distinct game world.
To accomplish this, you will work alongside an audio team, collaborating towards a collective vision, while also having ownership of assigned tasks allowing you to bring your own creativity to the larger audio process. This is an excellent position for someone with competency and a few games under their belt, who is looking for a space to be more creative and have more of a seat at the table.
This position requires occasional on-site work in Westminster, Colorado; hybrid WFH options are available when not required on-site.
This is not a music position.
Women, POC, LGBTQIA+, and neurodivergent individuals encouraged to apply.
- Design diegetic level ambience for an unannounced title, creating and sourcing sounds and implementing them into the game world through a DAW-Wwise-Unreal pipeline. Have an artistic focus towards realism, comfort, and creating an auditory identity for each space, and technical focus towards efficiency and creating a consistent set of rules for audio feedback as the player traverses the game world.
- Design cinematic audio for cutscene sequences, fleshing out the actions of the characters with a film-like sentiment. Create and implement foley and SFX to support the narrative and enhance believability.
- When required, be present at motion capture and vocal booth sessions, ensuring high quality voiceover is being captured, troubleshooting signal path or equipment issues, and tracking relevant information and notes on provided spreadsheets.
- Clean and mix captured voiceover, and implement into the game world through a Reaper-Wwise-Unreal pipeline, in conjunction with D9 proprietary tools.
- Fix broken or bugged audio content that arises, with an approach grounded in patience and creative problem-solving.
- A proven sound designer - with two or more years of experience with the role in a non-mobile game setting.
- Strong competency with creating assets in a DAW workflow.
- Strong intuition in the sound needs of both cinematic content and freeroam gameplay, relative to narrative games.
- Knowledgeable of Wwise, Unreal, and implementing sound assets through Wwise-Unreal integration (with preference to diegetic ambience).
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other game development disciplines to serve the narrative and design needs of a sequence.
- Knowledge of dialog editing best practices.
- Experience in live sound recording (with preference to non-music experience, ie. film, theater).
- Experienced in bug-fixing audio related issues.
- Knowledgeable of mixing best practices.
- Ability to work independently, take direction, give feedback.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to relocate to the Denver/Boulder/Westminster area.
- Strong competency with the following programs:
- any major DAW (with preference to Reaper),
- any major SFX browser (SoundMiner, Basehead, etc.)
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with Jira.
- Experience with acoustic treatment.
- Experience with live sound in a film environment.
- Good at Hades.
Please include a link to samples of your sound design work.
- Relocation assistance
- Competitive salary depending on experience
- Generous vacation time and paid parental leave
- Health insurance for you and your family at a low cost to you
- Dental and Vision insurance for you and your family at NO cost to you
- Life and Disability benefits at NO cost to you
- Optional Flexible Spending Account (including Healthcare and Limited Purpose), Dependent Care Account, and Health Savings Account available
- Optional Supplemental Health and Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with an Employer Match
- Growth opportunities for your career
Salary: $70,000+ DOE
**Please note that the compensation information is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and Equal Pay Transparency Rules. It is estimated based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid. It assumes that the successful candidate will be in Colorado or perform the position from Colorado. Similar positions located outside of Colorado will not necessarily receive the same compensation. **